Irish Daily Mirror

Council to explore aid for riot victims

- BY MICHAEL KENWOOD

BELFAST City Council last night agreed to look into giving financial help to those businesses destroyed by far-right thugs over the weekend.

During a special emergency meeting, members unanimousl­y supported a motion condemning the violence, as well as looking at transferri­ng money from the council’s “Vacant to Vibrant” fund to support attacked businesses.

At City Hall on Monday evening councillor­s heard from the manager and owner of Sham Supermarke­t which was destroyed on Donegall Road on Saturday because it was a Muslim-run business.

The manager Bashir, who also represents and hosts refugees and asylum seekers into Belfast, told the chamber he was personally attacked by individual­s on Saturday. He said he was nearly killed by people who wanted to “stab” him.

He added: “I almost got killed. For what? For nothing. For something I didn’t do. I don’t know what is happening with them. I ran away after I punched one of them in self defence.

This is the third time our shop has been burned. The police come, they go, they take a statement and they throw it in the bin. That is what they do, if you allow me to say that.

“Nothing happens. People coming, destroying, I almost get killed, and nobody does anything. [They say], ‘I’m sorry for what happened’. But I don’t want ‘sorry’ I want action.”

The chamber agreed as one to a motion which converged proposals from the Green Party and Sinn Fein.

The first part of the motion, forwarded by the Green’s Anthony Flynn, stated: “This council condemns the violence, destructio­n and racist intimidati­on caused by far-right agitators. We stand in solidarity with those in our ethnic minorities who own and run businesses, contribute to our culture and identity and make Belfast an open and welcoming place to live, work and study.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the attack in Southport last week and their families. They deserve justice.”

Sinn Fein Cllr Ciaran Beattie motion for proposed financial assistance states: “The Chief Executive [will] bring a report to the Strategic, Policy and Resources Committee as soon as possible to establish a programme of financial assistance for the business owners who were impacted by racist attacks.”

Lord Mayor Micky Murray said at the meeting: “The attack on those children in Southport is appalling and unforgivab­le. My thoughts are with the families friends and the wider community. Belfast sends it deepest condolence­s.”

On the racist attacks on Saturday, he added: “This needs to be called out for what it is – Islamophob­ia. We have to speak in a united voice, calling this out and condemning the actions of a few who seek to control through fear and intimidati­on.”

 ?? ?? GUTTED Bashir surveys shell of his Belfast shop
GUTTED Bashir surveys shell of his Belfast shop

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Ireland